- 2 large Russet potatoes (about 1 pound), scrubbed and cut lengthwise into quarters.
- 1 large onion (8 ounces), peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- Using a food processor with a coarse grating disc, grate the potatoes and onion. Transfer the mixture to a clean dishtowel and squeeze and wring out as much of the liquid as possible.
- Working quickly, transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the eggs, flour, salt, baking powder and pepper, and mix until the flour is absorbed.
- In a medium heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, pour in about 1/4 inch of the oil. Once the oil is hot (a drop of batter placed in the pan should sizzle), use a heaping tablespoon to drop the batter into the hot pan, cooking in batches.
- Use a spatula to flatten and shape the drops into discs.
- When the edges of the latkes are brown and crispy, about 5 minutes, flip.
- Cook until the second side is deeply browned, about another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and sprinkle with salt while still warm.